Friday 29 May 2015

Blatter am not perfect but I can fix Fifa

The Swiss will serve a fifth four-year term at the
head of football's governing body after seeing off
sole challenger Prince Ali bin al-Hussein
Sepp Blatter insists that he can restore Fifa's
tarnished reputation after being re-elected
president on Friday, claiming that while he is "not
perfect", he can solve all of the organisation's
problems.
The Swiss secured a fifth four-year term at the
head of the game's governing body, after his sole
rival for the role, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein,
conceded defeat after racking up just 73 votes to
Blatter's tally of 133 from the first round of voting.
Blatter praised his Jordanian challenge before
vowing to rebuild Fifa's shattered image following
the arrest of nine officials on suspicion of
accepting bribes over a 24-year period dating back
to 1991, as well as confirmation of the opening of
a Swiss-led criminal investigation into alleged
corruption relating to the award of the 2018 and
2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar, respectively.
"I would like to give compliments and express my
gratitude to his royal highness Prince Ali because
Prince Ali was a competitor, a challenger and he
has obtained a very good result," the 79-year-old
said during his victory speech.
"In this situation it would be easy to say, 'No, let's
go further, perhaps I will receive more votes [in a
second round].
"On the other hand, I thank you [Fifa's members]
for accepting me for the next four years.
"I will be in command of this boat called Fifa and
we will bring it back offshore and we will drag it to
the beach, we will bring it back to where football
can be played.
"But we have to work on that.
"You remember four years ago [at his last re-
election] I had lots of problems to solve. I
challenged you at that time, I am not going to
challenge you now but we also have to sort some
organisational problems in Fifa because we must
have a better configuration in the confederations.
"We need ladies in this committee, we have to do
more, we have to do more in our competitions
also but I will not touch the World Cup because
the World Cup is too important.
"But I take the responsibility to bring back Fifa, we
must do it, and I am convinced we can do it.
"I promise you I will give Fifa to my successor in a
very strong position, a strong Fifa and a robust
Fifa.
“My age is not a problem. I told you at the
beginning, when we started this election, I like my
job.
“I am not perfect, no-one is perfect but we will do
a good job together so I thank you for the
confidence placed in me. Let’s go Fifa, let’s go
Fifa."

No comments:

Post a Comment