Sunday 28 June 2015

Puyol-Messi humiliated me


The former Barcelona captain says the forward
remains unrivalled in the world game and recalled
a time he discovered the extent of the Argentine's
powers
Carles Puyol has revealed the humiliation he would
suffer at the hands of an ‘unstoppable’ Lionel
Messi during training sessions in their time at
Barcelona.
The former Barca captain retired from the game in
2014 after he and Messi shared six league titles
and three Champions League crowns with the
Catalan club.
And the 37-year-old has recalled a time when he
had to be told to tone down his physical approach
during one training session when he discovered
the true extent of the Argentinians powers.

"In a mini one-on-one match, I told myself: 'I'm
going to see if I can stop him’. It was humiliating,”
Puyol told La Vanguardia .
“Pep [Guardiola] told me: 'Carles, don't injure him’.
“I told Pep: ‘If you don't want anything to happen,
stop the session.’ I tried everything but he always
got past me at his own pace.”
Messi is currently in Chile where his Argentina side
will face Paraguay on Tuesday in the semi-finals of
the Copa America.
And Puyol believes the 28-year-old is even better
now than he was during their time together
dominating European football with Barca.
"He's head and shoulders above anyone I've
seen,” Puyol added.
“He's an alien. He's better now than he was four
years ago because he reads the game better. He's
unstoppable."

No comments:

Post a Comment